Flagler Palms Memorial Gardens is rich with history - it was formerly named Hope Cemetery and has several pioneers of Flagler County interred within. The cemetery was renamed when the County asked the funeral home, which is located on the cemetery grounds, to assume care and possession of what is now Flagler Palms Memorial Gardens.
The red bricks which line the main road entrance of the cemetery were once a part of the “Old Brick Road” which was part of a sixty-six mile project completed in 1916 by St. Johns County. The road extends for a distance of eleven miles between S.R. 204 and the rural community of Espanola. The northern two miles of the road are located in St. Johns County while the remaining portion is located in Flagler County. The road was part of the Dixie Highway which stretched from Sault Sainte Marie, Michigan south to Miami Beach, Florida. The road is composed of a packed shell foundation topped with a nine-foot wide brick roadbed and four-inch wide concrete curbs, flanked by three-foot wide shell shoulders for a total width of fifteen feet.